The State Planning Act of 1985 established state-level planning policy and mandated the creation of the New Jersey State Development and Redevelopment Plan (State Plan). The first plan was adopted by the State Planning Commission in 1992 and updated on a three-year cycle through a “cross-acceptance” process. The last amendment and re-adoption was in 2001. Although an update was initiated in 2003 it was not adopted.
In early 2011, the State of New Jersey Office for Planning Advocacy initiated a State Strategic Planning Process. The goal of the project was “to understand the opportunities for responsible growth and redevelopment in New Jersey and create a strategic implementation plan that capitalizes on these opportunities by better coordination of capital improvement investments and regulatory regimes of state agencies.” PlanSmart NJ had the opportunity to participate in the stakeholder process and advocate for a State Plan that is balanced, equitable, regional and addresses the many challenges facing the state.
- To read our comments on the 2011 State Strategic Planning Process please click here.
November 13th, 2012: The State Planning Commission met today and voted to table the adoption of the Final State Strategic Plan until amendments could be made to address impacts of Hurricane Sandy. See PlanSmart NJ’s Press Release on the topic. PlanSmart NJ also submitted written comments to the State Planning Committee.
November 12th, 2012: The Office for Planning Advocacy released a Final Draft State Strategic Plan. Please review the Final draft which is available on OPA’s website.
The State Planning Commission is scheduled to meet on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 10:00 a.m. The meeting will be held in Committee Room 4 of the State House Annex located at 125 West State Street, Trenton.
August 3rd, 2012: Two Additional Public Hearings for the draft Final State Strategic Plan: New Jersey’s State Development and Redevelopment Plan- September 10th in Toms River and September 13th in Jersey City. Public Notice with additional information and locations. Written comments to the State Planning Commission are due at any time up to 30 days after the last public hearing is conducted (10/13/2012). Submission of written comments may be directed to the State Planning Commission at firstname.lastname@example.org.
April 30th, 2012: Gerald Scharfenberger, director of the New Jersey Office for Planning Advocacy, announced that the State plans to hold a seventh public meeting on the plan and will move to adopt the plan 30 to 60 days after.
On April 2nd, 2012: PlanSmart NJ State Plan Submitted Public Comments to the Office for Planning Advocacy. Read our letter and learn about our concerns and suggestions for revisions to the Draft State Strategic Plan. We eagerly await to release of the revised plan on April 13th, 2012.
The State Planning Commission is scheduled to vote on adopting the State Strategic Plan as the New Jersey State Development and Redevelopment Plan (State Plan) on April 25, 2012. Public written comment will continue through April 2nd. The final version of the plan to be voted on will be posted on the Office for Planning Advocacy‘s website after April 13, 2012.
All six public hearings were held as scheduled, therefore the public comment period will continue for 30 days. Public Comment deadline is April 2nd, 2012. Comments can be submitted electronically to email@example.com or by the U.S. Postal Service to the New Jersey Department of State, Office for Planning Advocacy, 225 West State Street, PO Box 820, Trenton, NJ 08625-0820. Submission of written public comments may also be directed to the State Planning Commission at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friday, February 10th, 2012- Advance Notice of Rules for the Priority Investment Areas was released by the Office for Planning Advocacy following the January 18th, State Planning Commission Meeting. The rules propose new definitions of the following terms as well revisions to some existing definitions:
- Alternate Growth Investment Area
- Limited Growth Investment Area
- Priority Growth Investment Area
- Priority Preservation Investment Area
- Regional Innovation Cluster
On November 14th, 2011 the State Planning Commission voted unanimously to adopt the Draft State Development & Redevelopment Plan. As well as the accompanying documents: Approval of Impact Assessment, Approval of the Statement of Agreements and Disagreements (SAD) and Statewide Issue Response Team (SWIRT) Report and Completion of the Cross-Acceptance Process, Approval of Draft Final State Development and Redevelopment Plan and Draft Infrastructure Needs, Assessment for Distribution and Commencement of Final State Plan Approval.
Under the State Planning Act, the agency is now required to host six public hearings around the state as well as allow for public comment from counties and municipalities for a period of thirty days after the last meeting. The final plan can be adopted as the State Plan after the above conditions have been met. Please see below for upcoming meetings and schedule.
On October 19th, 2011, the State of New Jersey Office for Planning Advocacy released the Draft State Strategic Job Growth Plan (Draft State Development & Redevelopment Plan):
- To read the Draft State Strategic Job Growth Plan (Draft State Development & Redevelopment Plan) click here.
- Plan goals include:
· Targeting Economic Growth
· Effective Planning for “Vibrant Regions” in New Jersey
· Preserve and Enhance Critical State Resources
· Tactical Alignment of State Government
- Plan goals include:
- To read Executive Order 78, providing for specific implementation guidelines, click here.
- To read our Response to the State Strategic Plan: New Jersey’s State Development & Redevelopment Plan, click here.
Meetings and Comments:
- Summary of Public Hearings and Comments
- The two additional public hearings have been scheduled:
- September 10, 2012 at 1:00 p.m. Presentation, 2:00 p.m. Public Hearing, Toms River Municipal Complex, Council Chambers, 33 Washington Street, Toms River, NJ 08753
- September 13, 2012 at 1:00 p.m. Presentation, 200 p.m. Public Hearing, Jersey City – City Hall, 2nd Floor Council Chambers, 280 Grove Street, Jersey City, NJ 07302
- Public Hearings Announcement
- Read PlanSmart NJ State Plan Submitted Public Comments to learn about our concerns and suggestions for revisions to the Draft State Strategic Plan.
- Public Hearings were held in accordance with the following schedule. The deadline to submit written comments is April 2, 2012. To submit written comments send an email to email@example.com or by the U.S. Postal Service to the New Jersey Department of State, Office for Planning Advocacy, 225 West State Street, PO Box 820, Trenton, NJ 08625-0820. Submission of written public comments may also be directed to the State Planning Commission at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The State Planning Commission convened six public hearings:
- February 13, 2012Galloway, NJ
- February 16, 2012 Clayton, NJ
- February 23, 2012 Newark, NJ
- February 27, 2012 Morris Township, NJ
- February 28, 2012 West Long Branch, NJ
- March 1, 2012 Bordentown, NJ
- December 7, 2011 State Planning Commission meeting was held the following was reported:
- 6 public hearings will be held around the state. Dates to be announced in mid-December. Hearings to take place from end-January into February.
- SPC is expected to act on final State Plan at its March 2012 meeting.
- Locational criteria will be developed and concepts shared at public hearings.
- Garden State Values will be linked to State Agency Functional Plans.
- November 14, 2011 State Planning Commission: SPC Agenda
- Public Meetings: To Be Scheduled, check back for dates and agendas as they become available.
In the News/Press Releases/Speaks Out:
NJ’s Strategic Growth Plan: Not Quite Ready for Prime Time (May 1, 2012)
Agency Approves Strategic Growth Plan Without Specifying Where the Growth Will Be (November 15, 2011)
Chris Christie job growth plan draft accepted by NJ planners (November 15, 2011)
The Daily Record
Planners OK state’s draft outline for job growth(November 15, 2011)
My Central Jersey
Op-Ed: New State Strategic Plan Starts Off on the Right Foot (November 8, 2011), NJ Spotlight
NJ’s New Plan for Development Gets High Marks(October 26, 2011), U.S. 1 Newspaper
Christie’s Growth Plan: Most Either Love it or Hate it (October, 23, 2011), MyCentralJersey.com
Strategic Development Plan Puts Economic Growth on the Map (October 21, 2011), NJ Spotlight
Christie Announces New Strategic Plan; Causes Environmentalists To Question Priorities (October 20, 2011), NJ Today
Administration Wants to Shelve Smart Growth Map (October 20, 2011), NJ Spotlight
Press Release: PlanSmart NJ is “Bullish” On New State Strategic Job Growth Plan (October 19, 2011)
30th Policy Briefing: Land Preservation and the Role of Regional Planning in Princeton, NJ
Save the Date
"Are We Taking NJ's Defense Industry for Granted?"
June 13th in Mt. Laurel
- Land Preservation Policy Briefing is Next Week! Have you registered? http://t.co/0mHu8B6cIr
- Land Preservation Policy Briefing is Less Than Two Weeks Away! Don't miss it, REGISTER today! http://t.co/HQf5vdVYLO
- Upcoming Events:PB-Land Preservation & the Role of Regional Planning/Conference on Defense Industry Impacts in NJ http://t.co/o6YLbtzzd0