Is New Jersey Moving in the Right Direction?
- New Jerseyans suffer the third worst commute in the nation.
- Last year, only 23 new corporations started or expanded facilities in New Jersey, compared with 168 in New York, 337 in Pennsylvania, and 424 in Texas.
- New Jersey is one of the most economically and racially segregated states in the nation, leading to high crime and failing schools in areas of concentrated poverty.
- New Jersey has the highest tax burden in the nation.
What is PlanSmart NJ Doing to Improve Our Future?
Misguided land use decisions are to blame for many of these seemingly intractable problems and PlanSmart NJ has fought hard to foster real change. Over the last four decades, we have:
- Shaped laws, such as Farmland Preservation, Fair Housing, and State Planning acts; and the New Jersey Economic Stimulus Act of 2009
- Designed new approaches to reframe land use decision-making in New Jersey, including the Smart Growth Economy Project; VISION 2050 for Central NJ; and Transit Score: New Jersey’s Unique Planning Tool.
- Invented new planning tools, such as Goal-Oriented Zoning, the computer-based GOZ® model, the RAP (Regional Action Planning Process), PlanMapping, and TrendShift.
- Partnered to create new coalitions, such as the D&R Greenway, NJ Future, Coalition for Affordable Housing and the Environment and the NJ Regional Coalition.
- Initiated public/private partnerships, such as the Greater Mercer TMA, the Regional Forum and Forum 2020.
- Published books, such as the Growth Management Handbook, Suburban Design Handbook, the Green Infrastructure Guide, and Out and About: A Guide to Sustainable Local Circulation Planning.
- Conducted federally-funded research, such as measuring the land use/transportation relationship; and integrating natural resource protection into land use plans.
With your support, we can do even more in the coming year. Your membership will enable us to reverse negative trends and accelerate the pace of change. We will provide training and technical assistance to communities, conduct research, engage in education and outreach, and advocate for public policy changes. We aim to improve people’s lives by shortening commuting times, fostering center-based development, and reducing the economic disparities that plague our communities. Become a member today! PlanSmart NJ is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization.