June 7, 2016
8:00 am – 3:30 pm
The War Memorial
New Jersey led the nation in developing isolated single use office parks. Today, New Jersey is experiencing an exodus of corporate employers, leaving behind large underutilized office buildings and retail centers and the land on which they sit. While these sites currently are a drain on the economy, they also represent an enormous opportunity to redevelop and redesign the suburbs to be more dynamic, connected, and sustainable. If repurposed correctly, New Jersey could lead the nation in how suburbs can be redesigned to be more efficient. The Regional Planning Summit: Repurpose, Reuse, Revitalize will highlight opportunities and success stories on how stranded real estate assets can be turned into dynamic communities.
Keynote Speaker: Greg Lindsay
8:00 – 8:30: Registration and Continental Networking Breakfast
8:30 – 8:35: Welcome: Karen Jezierny, Princeton University and PlanSmart NJ Board President
8:35 – 8:40: Introduction: Mayor Tim McDonough, Hope Township
8:40 – 8:50: The Stranded Assets Problem; How Big is it? Sam Brookham, PlanSmart NJ, Planner – PRESENTATION
PlanSmart NJ has conducted an extensive statewide analysis of vacancies in office parks and retail centers. The findings will be presented and set the stage for a call to action to repurpose struggling assets.
8:50 – 9:20: Comprehensive Economic Development Strategies: Connecting the Dots Matthew Holt, Hunterdon County Freeholder – PRESENTATION
Addressing stranded assets requires planning beyond the site. Hon. Matthew Holt, Hunterdon County Freeholder and NJTPA Executive Committee member will highlight the connections between flexible zoning, transit oriented development, increasing densities and reinventing New Jersey’s suburbs.
9:20 – 10:25: It Is All About Financing
Vacant and underutilized properties can have quite an impact on municipal budgets. Repurposing can be costly but PILOTs can provide incentives to developers to repurpose and plug holes in municipal budgets.
- Moderator Richard Goldman, Esq., Drinker Biddle & Reath
- Kevin McManimon, Esq., McManimon, Scotland & Baumann, LLC – PRESENTATION
- Andrew Janiw, AICP, PP, Beacon Planning and Consulting Services, LLC – PRESENTATION
10:25 – 10:35: Break
10:35 – 11:35: Repurposing Through Proactive Leadership
Promoting a vision and proactive leadership are key to repurposing.
- Moderator: Zenobia Fields, North Jersey Transportation Planning Authority – PRESENTATION
- Peter Cocoziello, Advance Realty – PRESENTATION
- Mike Kerwin, Somerset Business Partnership – PRESENTATION
- Walter Lane, AICP, PP, Somerset County Planning Board – PRESENTATION
11:35 – 12:45: Lunch and Keynote Speaker
- Greg Lindsay, Senior Fellow of The New Cities Foundation
12:45 – 1:55: Achieving Multiple Goals Through Innovation
Reimagining how a site may be reused is also an opportunity to think about how the site may function and achieve multiple goals. By building upon existing infrastructure and incorporating innovations in energy and green infrastructure these properties can be utilized to enhance sustainable goals and increase efficiency, while meeting affordable housing needs.
- Moderator: George Vallone, Hoboken Brownstone
- Pam Frank, Gabel Associates
- Tavis Dockwiller, ASLA, Viridian Landscape Studio – PRESENTATION
- Nat Bottigheimer, Fehr & Peers DC – PRESENTATION
- Jim Constantine, PP, Looney Ricks Kiss – PRESENTATION
1:55 – 3:05: Supporting Vibrant Communities Across the State
What makes the state economy flourish? Vibrant communities that not only attract businesses and residents, but also maintain them for the long-term. Meeting this goal takes a comprehensive statewide approach with local support. This panel will discuss numerous state-level recommendations that will help promote the success of New Jersey’s suburbs, such as reinvigorating the State Plan, marketing regional assets, addressing regulatory barriers and promoting workforce development.
- Moderator: Lori Grifa, Esq., Archer Greiner
- Tim Touhey, Investors Bank
- Michele Siekerka, NJ Business and Industry Association
- Joel Bergstein, Lincoln Equities Group
- Morris Davis, Ph.D. Rutgers Center for Real Estate – PRESENTATION
3:05 – 3:15: Leading the Way to Implementation Ann Brady, PlanSmart NJ Executive Director
We have applied to provide:
AICP CM Credits
RMC and CPWM Municipal Credits
Thank you to our Project Sponsors for your generous support:
CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST SPONSORS
Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP
Langan Engineering & Environmental Services
Lincoln Equities Group LLC
National Business Parks
New Jersey Economic Development Authority
New Jersey Housing and Mortgage Finance Agency
Sokol Behot LLP
Clarke Caton Hintz
KAlexander Associates, LLC
Looney Ricks Kiss
WMSH Marketing Communications